Tips for a Smoother Process
When filing Form G-639 for a Freedom of Information/Privacy Act request, applicants can take certain steps to ensure a more efficient processing experience. Here are some key tips:
1. Complete the Form Accurately: Ensure all sections of Form G-639 are filled out correctly. Provide clear and concise information to avoid delays due to clarification requests from USCIS.
2. Be Specific:
- Narrow Your Request: Only request the specific documents you need.
- Identify Records: If possible, mention the type of records and the relevant time frame.
3. Provide Consent: If requesting records for someone else, include their written consent to release the information to you.
4. Check for Available Records Online: Before filing, check the USCIS Electronic Reading Room to see if the information is already publicly available, which can save time.
5. Submit Adequate Proof of Identity: Attach proof of your identity, such as a photocopy of a government-issued ID, to prevent any identity verification delays.
6. Use Trackable Mail: Consider sending your request via certified mail to have a record of receipt by USCIS.
|Label supporting documents
|Easy reference for USCIS officers
|Separate and mark attachments
|Faster verification and reference by USCIS
By adhering to these guidelines, applicants can help streamline the review process and potentially reduce Form G-639 processing times.