Completing the Form
When completing Form I-864W, it is critical that applicants provide accurate and complete information in two key areas: their personal details and their financial status. Incorrect or incomplete information can lead to delays or denials.
Applicants must provide their full legal name, date of birth, and mailing address. It is essential that the name matches other legal documents to ensure consistency. The form also requires the applicant’s Alien Registration Number (A-Number), Social Security Number (SSN), if applicable, and USCIS Online Account Number, which is optional.
- Name: As listed on legal documents
- A-Number: If previously provided by USCIS
- SSN: If a number has been issued
Financial information is required to establish that the applicant meets the criteria for exemption from the traditional Affidavit of Support (I-864). The applicant must indicate their exemption category and provide evidence to support their claim. No financial sponsor is required if exempt. Typically, this section could be filled out by certain categories, like children who will automatically become U.S. citizens upon admission or individuals who have earned or can be credited with 40 quarters of coverage under the Social Security Act.
- Exemption Category: Specify the grounds for exemption, such as a child becoming a U.S. citizen under the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.
- Evidence of Qualification: Attach relevant documentation such as birth certificates or proof of qualifying quarters worked.