Using Form I-864P
Form I-864P, known as the HHS Poverty Guidelines, is a critical reference document for individuals filling out Form I-864, the Affidavit of Support. It’s used to ascertain if a petitioner meets the financial requirements to sponsor an immigrant.
- The sponsor must demonstrate income at least 125% of the federal poverty level for their household size.
- For active duty military members sponsoring immediate family, the requirement is 100% of the poverty level.
Household Size Considerations: Sponsors must count all persons in their household, including:
- Their dependents
- Any immigrants previously sponsored with Form I-864
Annual Updates: The guidelines are updated annually to reflect changes in the economy, and are effective beginning March 1st of the current year.
Using the Table:
- Locate the sponsor’s household size.
- Find the corresponding income requirement.
Documentation: It’s crucial to provide proof of income, such as:
- Tax returns
- Pay stubs
- Employment letters
By adhering to Form I-864P guidelines and ensuring all income documentation is current and correct, sponsors can effectively support their Affidavit of Support. This form is instrumental in maintaining the integrity of the immigration sponsorship process.